|Experience Type:||New Graduate Opportunities|
|Position Available:||Year Round|
|Hourly Rate or Pay Range:||60,000-65,000|
|Application Deadline:||January 28, 2022|
This is an exciting opportunity to lead regional climate action and test new ways to accelerate climate action through higher education. The Climate Programs Regional Manager will support multi-institutional activity between Second Nature members in the Southeast to address regional climate issues including climate justice, decarbonization, and climate resilience. The Manager will ally with minority serving institutions (MSIs), under-resourced institutions, and historically marginalized individuals and groups in the region to advance equitable and just climate action. The Climate Programs Regional Managers will report to the Senior Manager of Climate Programs and work across the Second Nature team to advance Second Nature’s mission of accelerating climate action in and through higher education.
Second Nature is a remotely run organization and is seeking two managers; one based in the Midwest (roughly defined as IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI, MO) and one in the Southeast (roughly defined as AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA).
Responsibilities and Qualifications
The primary position responsibility is to serve as Second Nature’s leader for regional climate programming. In this role, the responsibilities of the Climate Programs Regional Manager will include, but are not limited to:
- Strengthening and building relational capital among higher education’s regional climate leaders and networks with a strong focus on MSIs, under-resourced institutions, and historically marginalized individuals and institutions
- Strengthening and building partnerships between higher education and stakeholders outside of the sector with a strong focus on historically marginalized communities
- Sharing knowledge and best practices to build capacity of the higher education sector to lead regional climate solutions
- Communicating and disseminating leading-edge climate action opportunities and successes to regional stakeholders
- Creating at least one new climate action tool, resource, or program that can be tested regionally and applied nationally across Second Nature’s membership
- Representing Second Nature at regional conferences and delivering presentations, workshops, and online events
- Serving as Second Nature’s regional point of contact for disseminating national opportunities to member campuses and sharing regional activity with the national team
Studies have shown that women, people of color, and other under-represented groups are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. Second Nature will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
- Degree in sustainability, climate/environmental science, planning, community engagement, organizational management, or a related field OR a minimum 3-5 years of experience working on and overseeing climate related projects/programs.
- Demonstrated understanding of how various types of higher education institutions are attempting to advance climate action
- Demonstrated ability to align and empower a diverse network of stakeholders to act together on emerging climate action initiatives, particularly through empowering and allying with underrepresented and underserved stakeholders
- Interest and commitment to Second Nature’s mission of accelerating climate action in, and through, higher education
- Curiosity and strong desire to learn from others through active listening
- Comfort initiating contact with new individuals and building new relationships
- Experience translating technical information into broadly accessible resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with remote content delivery and online communication platforms/web development a plus
This is a full-time, salaried position that is funded for two years. Compensation will be commensurate with experience within a range of $60,000 to $65,000. A competitive benefits package is provided. The application period will close on January 28, 2022.
Second Nature is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristics, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Second Nature Southeast United States
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume for consideration
Application Deadline: January 28, 2022 Apply Online