Dickinson College Farm
Boiling Springs, PA
|Experience Type:||New Graduate Opportunities, Off-campus Jobs|
|Position Available:||Year Round|
|Hourly Rate or Pay Range:||Salary|
The Dickinson College Farm is an 80-acre educational production farm that raises certified organic produce and grass-fed meat for campus and community consumption, in addition to serving as a resource for academic and agricultural training interests.
The Dickinson College Farm invites motivated and experienced applicants to submit an application for the newly created Vegetable Production Manager position. This salaried position is designed to oversee all aspects of the College Farm’s certified organic vegetable operation. Each year the farm raises produce on 10 -15 acres with the help of students, seasonal apprentices, volunteers, and full-time staff members. The Vegetable Production Manager will supervise all aspects of crop production and staff needs to meet revenue and production goals and ensure successful growing seasons. The College Farm supports a 130+ member CSA, in addition to robust produce sales to the campus dining hall and diverse stand at the Carlisle’s producer only farmers’ market. Successful applicants will have a minimum of five years of experience working in organic vegetable production, in addition to strong staff management skills. They will also be enthusiastic and organized leaders, enjoy working with college-aged students, and bring diverse skill sets to the position. Compensation includes a competitive salary with benefits package plus on-farm residence.
esponsibilities of this position include effective oversight of all production needs of the farm’s certified organic vegetable operation such as vegetable crop planning and crop production including day-to-day farm and crop management like tractor work, cultivation, seeding, transplanting, irrigation, pest and disease control, composting, soil fertility, harvests, plus sales and deliveries to the campus dining hall, farm CSAprogram, and farmers’ market. Personnel oversight of this position includes student and apprentice staff plus Packing House Coordinator supervision. Weekend and wintertime livestock care will also fall under this position, with support from seasonal apprentices, farm staff members, and student employees.
- Maintain full oversight of the College Farm’s ten-acre vegetable production operation, including the design and implementation of annual crop plans that meet customer expectations and generates revenue while upholding sustainable land management practices and existing USDA organic certification.
- Plan, coordinate, and actively manage student staff, apprentices, and seasonal staff based on the needs and functions of the College Farm’s vegetable operation.
- Provide support to on-farm research trials and farm-based educational programs.
- Assist with leading educational farm tours and provide support as needed for farm and campus outreach programs.
- Position is required to live on the Dickinson farm and receives nontaxable housing.
This position is designated as “emergency response personnel”. Emergency response personnel are required to report to work when the college is delayed or closed. This position may be called in at any time of the day to respond to weather and/or other types of emergencies as needed.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with 5-8 years of relevant experience required.
- Previous management experience on diversified certified organic vegetable farms is essential to the success of this position.
- A valid driver’s license is required – operator must have been in possession of a valid operator’s license for not less than three (3) years and the license must have been in good standing without interruption during that time period.
This position is also subject to the PA Act 153 Clearance consisting of the PA Criminal History Record Check, PA Child Abuse Certification and the Federal Criminal History Record Information Check.
This position requires daily engagement in physical activities including bending, kneeling, lifting and carrying 50lbs. Good physical health and stamina are essential.
Dickinson College Farm Boiling Springs, PA 17007 United States Website
How to Apply
For more information and to complete an application, please go to https://jobs.dickinson.edu/postings/4734
Application review will begin on October 19, 2018. The position will start in January 2019.
Dickinson College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff and student body. We encourage applications from all qualified persons.