Founded in 1960 and located in Sarasota, New College of Florida is a public liberal arts college that prepares intellectually curious students for lives of great achievement. As the designated Honors College of Florida, New College offers rigorous academics, small class sizes, student evaluations that go beyond grades, and a learning environment that cultivates a culture of discovery through students’ independent study and senior thesis projects. New College offers nearly 40 undergraduate majors and a master’s degree program in Data Science. The 110-acre bay front campus is home to more than 800 students and 80 full-time faculty engaged in interdisciplinary research and collaborative learning. Undergraduates spend all four years living in on-campus residence halls, many of which were designed by renowned architect I.M. Pei.
New College ranks as the #1 public university in the nation for the percentage of its graduates who earn PhDs in science and engineering. It is the only liberal arts college in the nation with a marine science research center located on its main campus. In 2018, New College adopted a ten-year strategic plan that is focused on growing enrollment to 1,200 students and raising four-year graduation rates to 80%. New College is a member of the Cross-College Alliance with four other higher education institutions in Sarasota and Bradenton that provide cross-enrollment in courses.
MAJORS/ AREAS OF STUDY
Academic programs in natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities that encompass nearly 40 majors including anthropology, biochemistry, environmental studies, and marine biology.
The academic year consists of two fourteen-week semesters and a four-week January Interterm devoted to independent study.
NOTABLE ACTIVITIES IN SUSTAINABILITY
- Received TreeCampus USA designation for its urban forestry management practices
- LEED Gold certification for the sustainability features of its two newest buildings
- The campus also features a natural plant habitat for native species of Florida
- Apiary that provides hives for thousands of bees.
SPECIAL PROGRAMS, FACILITIES & RESEARCH
- The Heiser Natural Sciences Complex contains a state-of-the-art Optical Spectroscopy and Nano-materials lab, research greenhouse, chemistry labs, and multiple spectrometers.
- The Pritzker Marine Biology Research Center includes seven research labs and over 100 aquaria, anchored by a 15,000-gallon research and display tank.
- The Public Archaeology Lab features more than 1,600 square feet of workspace for processing and interpreting artifacts as well as storage space for excavated finds.
- New College also owns an undeveloped section of Tidy Island in Sarasota Bay, where faculty and students conduct ecological research.